Saturday, May 24, 2008

Makwerekwere

Xenophobia, chauvinism, racial intolerance, the dislike of foreigners or whatever you call it - is the last thing you want to experience especially if you’re not “the son of the soil”. I lived long enough in both Namibia and South Africa to witness, and at times become a victim of, xenophobia. In not less than three occasions was I confronted by some of my university colleagues who wanted to know exactly “if and when” I would return to my home country. It was evident to me, at least, that the motives behind their inquiries were not well-intended but rather served as a reminder to me that “you’re a foreigner and this is our country so kindly, go home!”

From the very first time I witnessed xenophobia, I could see dark days ahead. However, I always believed that the dark days of violence towards immigrants would first be seen in other countries apart from South Africa, such as Botswana, where foreigners are even openly and vocally tagged “makwerekwere”. I thought Botswana was far ahead on this extreme and would most likely react first. Clearly, I was wrong. Perhaps, another reason for my poor judgment is the fact that I have so many generous, hospitable and welcoming South African friends.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the natives who are fully enjoying the economic benefits of the present government have little to do with the ongoing violence we are witnessing. So the question arises: who exactly is responsible? It is the young and elderly people from the townships and all others who are financially constrained and struggling to survive on a daily basis. But wait a minute! Don’t we have the “low class” in other peaceful nations? Why haven’t they reacted? The answer is “expectations”. Before South Africa received her independence in 1994, many who took part in the liberation struggle were looking forward to a “better life” with great financial gains. The perpetrators we see today on TV either took part in the liberation struggle or saw their family and friends take part in it. Now, 18 years later, their hopes have turned futile.


No comments: